Thus, tweeting "Down with capitalism" from your iPhone for those around the world to read seems to be the most ironic thing a person can do.
- What it costs to live in Japan
A foreigner living in Japan gives an interesting breakdown of the cost of living there.
- Belgian ISPs Ordered To Block The Pirate Bay
Two Belgian ISPs received a court order to block the Pirate Bay after the Belgian Anti-Piracy foundation won a court appeal.
- The Life-Changing $20 Rightward-Facing Cow
Game designer, lecturer and author Ian Bogost was so bothered by “social gaming” and “gamification”, that he bothered to release a satire game, which turned out become his biggest success. Great read!
- Brazil Drafts An ‘Anti-ACTA’: A Civil Rights-Based Framework For The Internet
After already being big on FOSS and open content use, Brazil now also pushes for a new Internet regulation, that actually has a strong civil rights focus.
- The Plan to Bring an Asteroid to Earth
I love when science starts sounding like science fiction.
- Destruktive Dynamik im Handelsraum
A study found that financial traders act more ruthless than psychopaths. Who’d have thought…. (in German)
- Vladimir Putin, Action Man
Vladimir Putin, the James Bond of politics. Joking aside though, this photo series is a great summary of the public image he has created in recent years.
- Independent reporting of #OccupyWallStreet
An insightful article about the current protests, with a fair share of media criticism and good observations about the protesters. I often find myself liking things written by people who label themselves libertarians, but it still is a philosophy I have strong doubts about.
- Computer virus hits US Predator and Reaper drone fleet
A hard to remove virus on military infrastructure and once again it seems like external storage media was the culprit.
- Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization
This article on hipsterdom feels so contemporary, I hadn’t even noticed that it’s more than 3 years old until I finished it.
If only we carried rocks instead of cameras, we’d look like revolutionaries.